I've Been Keeping a Secret...

yotube
0
I'M PREGNANT! ...with a word baby. Sorry. Lolz.

You all know The Good Immigrant, right? The incredible anthology of essays released last year? The one that was edited by Nikesh Shukla and later received praise from J.K. Rowling? Here, this one (though it really shouldn't have escaped your notice, as it's been everywhere...)


There's going to be another one... but this time, its purpose is to highlight the state of the world from the perspective of young people. And, somehow, I was asked to be in it. Overjoyed is an understatement. As soon as the news went public this morning, I pre-ordered a signed copy... which means I basically paid for my own signature. But I do not care. Because I GET TO SIGN A BOOK. IN FACT, SEVERAL. I'd try to be cool but that's not really my style... I'm more about kickass political essays. *cough*


The country is messed up and our future is looking gloomy. We, Britain's young people, have to live with the repercussions of what the oldies have done - we didn't vote for Brexit, we didn't vote in Theresa May, and you know what? We're sick of being talked about instead of talked to. So here's our book. Written for you by us. You're welcome. If you think that's all a bit in your face, you should know that it's never been harder to be young, so it's no wonder we're angry. One in four people under 25 will be affected by mental illness. 52% of all people under 25 have looked for advice on homelessness. As university fees rise, job opportunities dry up and houses get more expensive, we are facing an ever-expanding chasm of doubt, instability and, basically, buckling down for a really, really rough time for the rest of our lives.

The voice of this generation is noticeably absent from mainstream media, online comment pieces and from news reports. Oi, editors! What are you so scared of? Why aren't you commissioning us?

As usual, it looks like it's up to us to commission ourselves.

I cannot wait for you to read my essay, and hopefully I do you proud. I'm really looking forward to reading everyone else's essays, too - if I wasn't in it, I'd still be purchasing a copy because there's nothing I like more than seeing people my age doing good and saving the world one written word at a time. You can see a full list of contributors by following the link below.

Thank you so much for your support ❤


Tags

Post a Comment

0Comments
Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Learn More
Accept !
To Top